Case Assignment Instruction
LEADERS AND LEADERSHIP
The Case for this module involves viewing several vignettes depicting different leadership styles. Using your critical thinking skills, write a 4- to 5-page paper identifying what leadership style the character is drawing on, and defend your answer using the principles of the models of leadership presented in the background materials.
View the following six video clips and address the following questions:
1. What model/theory of leadership best describes the approach to leadership exhibited in this scene? Analyze the effectiveness of this approach. Defend your answer with examples from the clip and references to the appropriate background material.
Video Clips can be found on YouTube*
1. This clip is from The Dead Poet’s Society. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of both Mr. Keating and Mr. Nolan:?CineGraf (2014). O captain, my captain!
2. This clip is from the movie Office Space where the main character is asked to work the weekend. What leadership style is Lumberg using??ResoluteProductions (2011). Office Space – Working tomorrow.
3. The third clip is a scene from Remember the Titans where the coach tells the players about the Battle of Gettysburg:?mikedaquila (2011) Remember the Titans Coach Boone Speech
4. This clip is from The Princess Bride and depicts a battle of wits between Vazzini and Roberts where Vazzini has to decide which cup is poisoned:?Vecchiarelli, M.S. (2013) The princess bride – Battle of the wits.
5. The fifth clip is from The Blind Side. What leadership style des the coach use and then what style does the mother use when she goes onto the field to tell Michael that the football team is like his family and he has to protect them??MacPherson, J. (2011). blindside p and p 2
6. The last clip is from The Devil Wears Prada where Andrea arrives at the offices of RUNWAY to interview for a job as assistant to Miranda:?moviemomentsAUS’s channel (2012). Devil Wears Prada.
*Note: These clips are all on YouTube. If you cannot access YouTube from a network that blocks access, you will need to use a different network or borrow another computer to complete the assignment. If neither is possible, contact your professor for instructions for an alternate assignment for writing a research paper on the Complexity Theory of Leadership.
Keys to the Assignment
• Define the problem: Identify the specific leadership style you observe in each clip. You will need to use each of the following leadership styles at least once in your paper:
? Trait models of leadership
? The Behavioral Approach
? Contingency Approaches (identify which one)
? Influence (Power)
? Transformational Leadership
• Analyze the Cause: Give examples of how specific behaviors or attitudes illustrate specific tenets of the model you have chosen.
• Propose a solution: Is this leadership style appropriate for this situation? Do you think it will be effective? Why or why not? Under what conditions might this approach be most appropriate? Most inappropriate?
You may want to do additional research to supplement what is on the background page. Outside research does not substitute for citing and referencing the background material, but may add additional support and depth to your arguments.
Your paper will be evaluated using the following five (5) criteria:
• Assignment-Driven Criteria (Precision and Breadth): Does the paper fully address all Keys to the Assignment? Are the concepts behind the Keys to the Assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
• Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking and Depth): Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
• Business Writing (Clarity and Organization): Is the paper well written (clear, developed logically, and well organized)? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included in all papers? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding to the assignment, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
• Effective Use of Information (Information Literacy and References): Does the paper demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used in paper provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
• Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper end references and in-text citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all end references been included within the body of the paper as in-text citations?
Tips and Suggestions
Please note the following tips and suggestions:
• Include a cover page and reference page in addition to the 4–5 pages of analysis described above.
• You are expected to demonstrate that you have read, understood, and can apply the required background readings for this module in your answer to this case. Be sure to read the required readings carefully, and use the theories and arguments you learn from them to support your analysis.
• Include headings for all papers longer than two pages (basically all papers).
• Cite and reference all sources that you use in your work, including those that you do not quote but paraphrase. This means include citations and quotation marks for direct quotes of more than five words, and include citations for information that you have “borrowed” or paraphrased from other sources.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR PROMOTIONAL DISCOUNT DISPLAYED ON THE WEBSITE AND GET A DISCOUNT FOR YOUR PAPER NOW!