Module 4 Case
Please see the attached Assignment instructions word document for a easier review of the instructions. The links that have to be used are included in this document as well.
Module 4 – Case
STRESS AND THE CARDIOVASCULAR AND DIGESTIVE SYSTEMS
Note: If you have trouble viewing some of the course materials, install Quicktime and the Adobe Shockwave Player, both of which can be downloaded free from the Internet.
STOP!!! YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED THE TUTORIALS ON THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM ON THE HOME PAGE BEFORE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THIS ASSIGNMENT!
In this Case Assignment, you will address the following in a 2- to 3-page essay:
First complete this exercise to identify the factors that have an effect on heart rate.
In your introductory paragraph, explain:
1. Which factors contributed to an increase in HR, and
2. Which factors contributed to a decrease in HR?
Now view the video Stress effects on the heart and read the following resources on hypertension and stress:
Stress and Blood Pressure, by the American Heart Association
Effect of psychological stress on blood pressure increase: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Gasperin, D et al. 2009. Cad. Saúde Pública, Rio de Janeiro, 25(4):715-726.
Based on what you read and observed, address the following questions in the body of your essay:
1. What is the risk of stress on the heart?
2. What are the contributions of the nervous system to the increased workload that the heart experiences when an individual is stressed?
3. Do some additional research to define “myocardial infarction risk.” What do Gasperin et al. (2009) say about the relationship between stress and myocardial infarction risk?
4. Using the resources above, define “hypertension.” Summarize the results reported by Gasperin et al. (2009) about stress and hypertension. What was successful in lowering hypertension?
5. In a conclusion paragraph write about what surprised you as you completed the readings/video for this Case study?
You are provided with many scholarly references to complete this assignment. Include a References section that lists these sources (refer to the Background page). For any additional research you are required to do to complete your assignment, please use scholarly references such as a peer-reviewed journal article or a government-sponsored or university-sponsored website. As you read through your sources, take notes from your sources and then write your paper in your own words, describing what you have learned from your research. Direct quotes should be limited and must be designated by quotation marks. Paraphrased ideas must give credit to the original author, for example (Murray, 2014). Direct copying from “homework help” websites will not receive credit.
Stress effects on the heart
Stress and Blood Pressure
Effect of psychological stress on blood pressure increase: a meta-analysis of cohort studies